Anna Spyrou was born and raised in Athens, Greece. She holds a BA in Graphic Design and she worked in advertising for a decade. As a highly self-motivated person, Anna has made a career shift from advertising as a Senior Art Director, to following her passion to write and direct movies. The next consequent step was her move to Los Angeles, the epicenter for filmmaking, in 2016. Dedicated to lifelong learning she recently graduated, with distinction, from UCLA Extension in Film Directing Program. She also has certificates from Auckland University in Logical and Critical Thinking, and from New York Film Academy in Digital Filmmaking. Further, Anna has attended several seminars with screenwriting’s gurus such as Robert McKee.
Anna’s film credits include short films, documentaries, music videos and commercials in various positions: writer, director, cinematographer, producer, script supervisor, editor, and production assistant. She has also worked on a Spanish-American production with Daniel Grao who starred in Julietta, the last movie by Oscar winner Pedro Almodóvar.
Except from being on set, Anna’s working experience includes script coverage, content development, photography - videography, and conduct interviews such as with Evan Spiliotopoulos, the writer of Beauty and the Beast, 2017. She has also served as Teacher’s Assistant in UCLA Extension, and she is currently mentor in filmmaking to low income high school students enrolled to the award winning Art Mentoring Program at Venice Arts. More than that, she is actively involved with Let’s Play Hollywood non-profit organization that provides professional training to high school students pursuing a career in entertainment industry.
In addition, she is a member of WIF (Women in Films) in Los Angeles, and she has worked with the organization on PSA commercials as well.
AWARDS – HONORS
• Black King Down, short film, official selection, Global Film Festival Awards, Los Angeles 2018
• Black King Down, short film, Best Score, Kapow Intergalactic Film Festival, Hollywood 2017
• Silent Cries, feature film script, Best Fade Out, Oaxaca International FilmFest, Mexico 2017
• Eureka, short film, Gold Award, L.A. Neo Noir Novel, Film, & Script Festival, Los Angeles 2017
• Meteora, Best Feature Film Script Project, SEEfest Accelerator Program, Los Angeles 2017
• Silent Cries, feature film script, 2nd place Original Feature Film Screenplay,
Greek Writers’ Guild National Screenplay Competition, Athens, Greece 2014
• Silent Cries, short-listed (5), London-Greek Film Festival, London, UK 2012